"More of your conversation would infect my brain." -William Shakespeare in Coriolanus Act II, scene i

Sunday, June 17, 2007

A World of Simile and Metaphor

[Three people are listening to the radio, something is said about being a literalist.]

Man : I am a complete literalist.
Girl 1 : What's a literalist?
Girl 2 : Here's a definition: I'm the opposite of literalist.
Man : What, do you live in a world of simile and metaphor?
Girl 2 : No, I live in a world of sarcasm.
Man : Irony is much preferred to sarcasm.
Girl 2 : I live in a world of irony AND sarcasm, then.
Girl 1 : What's irony?
Man : It's hard to explain. It's when things exist on different levels and mean different things.
Girl 2 : Isn't that ironic?
Girl 1 [pulling up what was part of a tobacco stick] : I've got a stick for when the two of you get out of hand.
Man : Is that metaphorically or literally speaking??

-Near a radio

1 comment:

maggini in tweed said...

I love this...and recognize all the speakers...tehe
Oh, yeah...I'M BACK!