"More of your conversation would infect my brain." -William Shakespeare in Coriolanus Act II, scene i

Friday, December 22, 2006

Lazy Greeks...or, Romans?

In our English class, our final was a presentation on a subject of our own choosing. People picked subjects they liked. For example, I picked coffee. Others picked video games and horses. One person, who we shall call Janet, chose to do her project on photography. The overall project was okay, the presentation did not seem very well prepared, and the research was minimal. This is what went down.

Teacher: So, who invented photography?
Janet: I don't remember. I think it was the Greeks. They had the technology to do it, but they were just lazy.
Teacher: The Greeks?
Janet: No, no, you're right, it was the Romans.

{At this point, after having bit my tongue long enough, I kind of lost it.}

Me: So, the Romans: the civilization that produced some of the finest architecture in the world. The Pantheon, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Colosseum. You're right, they were lazy.
Janet: Yeah, I know.

I think the girl still thinks that the Romans were lazy, and apparently, they invented photography.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL XD

Yay

Anonymous said...

Tell her to send me her snapshots of Julius Caesar...;)