"More of your conversation would infect my brain." -William Shakespeare in Coriolanus Act II, scene i

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year from Eavesdroppers!

New Year's Day and football... it's somewhat of a tradition. The following takes place between my dad (who's a normally sized person) and my little sister while they are watching a football game.

Dad: Look, a white running-back! I didn't know there was such a thing. ... and their quarter-back's white too.
My sister: What does the quarter-back do?
Dad: He runs the show, pretty much...
My sister: Were you the quarter-back in high school, Dad??
Dad: No, I was always a defensive tackle or an offensive guard.
[...5 or 6 seconds of silence, except for the television...]
My sister: Hmm... Aren't they the big ole fat ones?
Dad (irritated yet amused by the question):Yes, they're the big fat ones.
-

My sister is reading the NFL scores from the newspaper, having my dad and I guess the winners of each game by comparing the mascots.

My sister: What about the Lions versus the Cowboys?
Dad: Um... I believe I'm pulling for the Lions.
My sister: What about the Panthers versus the Saints?
Dad: Now that just sounds like a really cruel pun...

6 comments:

maggini in tweed said...

Green Bay (GB) was playing Chicago (CHI) and I had to make the comment that it looked like Great Britain was beating China 13-0.
Gotta love football.

Anonymous said...

We also debated Patriots v. Titans. Undoubtedly giants should win, but they didn't. Apparently Mel Gibson brings luck, but not to the Scots.

Anonymous said...

You may also (or maybe not) be wondering about the "But today IS tomorrow!!" post... I realized it is hardly as funny after some sleep.

Helen and Marky were on television this morning, so exciting.

Anonymous said...

I missed the whole twilight zone marathon. We only get that channel down here and there was football-watching going on. ugh.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Eavesdroppers. :) See you all on Wednesday, bright and early!

Woo! School! =.=

maggini in tweed said...

yeah, isn't school great.
I've decided that I've now just traded lunch tables with John. Hope no one minds. Except Jacob has eavesdroppersphobia and didn't say a word...;)